Saturday, August 4, 2012

Team Development

This week you read about the five stages of team development: forming, storming, norming, performing, and adjourning. Consider the adjourning phase for several of the groups in which you have been involved. Think about which aspects of the groups made for the hardest good-bye. Are high-performing groups hardest to leave? Groups with the clearest established norms? Which of the groups that you participated in was hardest to leave? Why? What sorts of closing rituals have you experienced or wish you had experienced? How do you imagine that you will adjourn from the group of colleagues you have formed while working on your master’s degree in this program? Why is adjourning an essential stage of teamwork?
Team Development-The 5 Stages of team development (Abudi, 2010):
·         Forming
·         Storming
·         Norming
·         Performing
·         Adjourning
“The moment you start doing anything at all with another person, you've established a team. Begin a conversation; pick up the phone, brainstorm an idea and you're in teamwork” (Learning Center, 2011).  Any of my work teams have been difficult to “adjourn” because when you work well with others and you can see the positive outcomes, it is hard to see it end.  The most difficult team for me to adjourn is my military “teams” that I have formed.  These are not professional “teams” but rather support groups or friendships.  But the teamwork you need through military deployment match no other teams I have been in with emotions, stress, and our end goal of coming together with our loved ones!  I believe it is the emotions involved in these groups make it hardest to adjourn.  I also think that low performing teams are easier to adjourn because you do not have a strong emotional connection, but rather more frustrations and irritation, therefore I find myself glad to see it over. 
            As far as my teams I have formed through the Master’s program, I hope to continue communication and networking through professional organizations, email contacts, etc.  The information and insight that our colleagues give to me, and I hope I can give to others, can make a big difference within the early childhood field.  It is important to adjourn after completing goals, because we have to move on, meet new people, without giving up the others, and continue to grow as professionals.  I gives us more and more experiences that will only make us better within the field of education. 

References:
Abudi, G. (2010). The five stages of team development: A case study. Retrieved from http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/the-five-stages-of-team-development-a-case-study.html.
Learning Center. (2011). How to build a team using vision, commitment, and trust. Retrieved from http://www.learningcenter.net/library/building.shtml.

4 comments:

  1. Julie,
    Adjouring is completing the goals but can be retaining a relationship with the the ones you participated with in the project, moving on does not mean leaving those that were part of the project. Every person we work with gives us experiences that we can learn from, be it positive or negative, it is still a learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie:
    It is hard to adjourn when you work well with others and positive things happen. When you work hard and something great is established, it is hard to say goodbye. I can imagine military deployment does bring about many emotions--I couldn't imagine! I'm sure you establish such a close relationship with your military teams. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie,


    Low performing groups do seem to be the easiest to adjourn. They sometimes make you want to run away screaming but I have found myself reflecting on these groups to see what I could have done to help make the group more productive. When you think about it though, adjourning groups is almost as difficult as forming a group. There are very deep emotions involved in adjourning just as forming albeit the emotions may be a little different. Social groups could be very difficult to part with especially when you think about how much time you truly spend with the people only to find that they are not going to be there the next day. What's the saying parting is such sweet sorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie,

    Your blog is so much information, I feel like I have known you for years! Also, thanks for everything you have done for all of us as far as your military background. I can not imagine it being easy for you, but praise to you regardless. I still remember when I left my first para job to go work full time and having to say goodbye to those children was hard enough, so I can not imagine your situation. Good luck with your future courses, you are going to do amazing!

    ReplyDelete