Sunday, July 22, 2012

How do others think I communicate?

This week, we needed to evaluate ourselves based on how we see ourselves as communicators: We took 3 tests for Communication Anxiety, Verbal aggressiveness, and Listening styles.  After we evaluated ourselves, we needed to ask 2 different people to complete the same 3 tests based on how they perceive my communication skills.  Honesty was the key in this assignment.  I needed to be honest in my own skills and so did the 2 people who evaluated me as well.  The 2 people I had assess me were my husband and a close friend.  Both of these people have been and are the most honest people and let me know their opinions even if they are not always what I want to hear.  The listening style was people oriented which did not surprise me and was what the 2 other people rated me at.  The most surprising element of this assignment was that I rated myself having lower communication skills than my 2 outside testers did in communication anxiety.  My results showed moderate communication anxiety whereas the other two people that rated me said I had low communication anxiety.  What this leads me to believe is that regardless of the anxiety that I may feel inside (which is the type of questions that were asked), it does not show on the outside when I am communicating with others or speaking in a small group setting or large forum.  I feel this also shows that I am harder in assessing my own abilities than someone else looking at my communication skills.  This also could be a reflection upon my confidence level that I have been able to develop through the years, my experience speaking publicly or through my career.  I am a social person and love to communicate.  A funny result from the test was that my husband was quick to respond to the questions about whether I hesitate to speak, communicate with others, etc.  It led me to believe that my husband may think that I may even speak too much?!? :)

1 comment:

  1. Julie,
    My results were similar to yours. I think that we are often our own worst critics and judge ourselves unnecessarily at times. I think my husband would say that I speak too much as well, lol.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete