Thursday, July 12, 2012

Communication and Culture

Think about the cultural diversity you see in your colleagues at school, in your neighborhood, in your workplace, and also, possibly, within your family. Consider all the aspects that make up culture, including race, religion, political affiliation, sexual orientation, varying abilities, and so on.
  • Do you find yourself communicating differently with people from different groups and cultures?
  • If yes, in what ways do you communicate differently?
Based on what you have learned this week, share at least three strategies you could use to help you communicate more effectively with the people or groups you have identified.

I thought about this assignment a lot this week!  Sometimes its easy to point out the faults of other and harder to reflect upon your own actions.  I think that I do communicate differently with people from different groups and cultures.  I am probably guilty of using stereotypes with people when communicating.  For example, I rely on sports more when talking to males, shopping and relationships when talking to women, religion when talking to a friend from church, and debate my family members who have far different political views than my own.  I tend to control the conversations with different people with "fallback" or "comfortable" subjects when the topics are already given.  I think this is natural to an extent but definitely something to be aware of. 

Based on this course, I think there are many things that I can do to communicate more effectively with those around me:

-SHHHHH-Stop talking!  I do tend to talk a lot.  I am an open and social person who loves to tell stories, but this may be causing the conversations to be swayed and influenced by me. 

-Listen rather than just hear.  I love reading about the difference between just hearing the sounds of people and understanding what they are saying and the meaning of what someone says.  I know that listening more actively is something that I can work on that would make me a more effective communicator.

-The Platinum Rule- I think that by becoming a more other-oriented person, this can most certainly increase my communication skills.  Thinking of others is extremely important and a strategy that most of us could work on. 

References:
Beebe, S. A., Beebe, S. J., & Redmond, M. V. (2011). Interpersonal communication: Relating to others (6th ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon
O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2009). Real communication. New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Julie, you are so right. Sometimes it is so easy for us to see other people faults and not our on. This would be a good example of abiding by the the Platinum Rule. Enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, I think we are probably all guilty of falling into those mindless easy conversation topics with friends and family. I know that I certainly am. For me, this class has made me much more aware of the importance of communication and really understanding what the other person is saying. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie,
    I appreciate that you mention, listening and not just hearing, a very important technique for a teacher and Early Chidcare professional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Julie,

    Thanks for sharing your communication abilities, along with being truthful on the techniques you need to focus more on. We are very similar in the way we interact with one another. I love telling stories and want to listen attentively without just hearing the words that come out of someones mouth. There's meaning to all conversations and I want to make certain I hear the right message from the speaker.

    Christine

    ReplyDelete