Saturday, July 7, 2012

EDUC-6165 blog: Communication Skills

This week in communication:  We were to choose a show that we do not normally watch and analyze the relationships between the characters through the way they are communicating with each other.  My husband and I watch a lot of shows on the HGTV channel; however, we have never seen the show design stars.  I watch an episode and immediately placed the show on mute.  I have to admit that watching a show for the first time without any sounds was very interesting.  It forces you to make decisions on the plot base strictly on actions because you do not have any previous knowledge of the show to base your decisions on.


•What do you think the characters’ relationships are based on the ways in which they are communicating?
I assumed (knowing it was a competition show) that there were two groups of people: the judges who sate professionally behind a table and the contestants who were lined up in front of the panel of people.  The relationship appeared very “down to business”.  There was no touching other than handshakes.  It was a very professional relationship.  It appeared to be a little like a firing squad with the 4 people behind the table being the gunman and the row of 6 people being on trial. 

•What are they feeling and expressing based on the nonverbal behavior you are observing?
I saw the 4 people behind the panel make some comments with smiles that were immediately received by 2 women that began smiling, jumping, and hugged each other and then left the room.  The rest of the scene was spent talking and the remaining 4 people in the line seemed uncomfortable, nodding, one rolled their eyes slightly, one made an attempt at a half smile and the people behind the panel seemed not so happy and used more firm actions with their hands like they were scolding a child.

•What assumptions did you make about the characters and plot based on the ways in which you interpreted the communication you observed?
I had assumed through the show that the group of 6 people was competing by designing rooms.  I was correct in my assumption of what the show was about.  The only part that I was a little off about was when I thought that the “panel” was scolding the remaining 4 people; they were much more polite than I had thought.  They were giving the contestants very positive and constructive criticism.  I had assumed what they were saying was much more harsh than it was.

•Would your assumptions have been more correct if you had been watching a show you know well?
I would have known what the discussion was about if I had seen the show before.  I would have known that this was the time during the line up to give feedback.  However, I did get a lot of the show correct based on the actions and reactions of the characters in the show.  You could tell who was leading the group, who was nervous and uncomfortable and who “won the challenge” by the 2 girls cheering.  You could really read a lot of the show based solely on watching it without sound.  I must admit that I enjoyed it more when I knew what they were saying.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this assignment because it allowed us to put our communication skills to practice. Sometimes the title of the show influenced how you watched the show, but overall I think it was a great practice. I noticed that I thought because an actor was smiling everything was okay. I learned that a smile can be misleading. Enjoyed your blog!

    ReplyDelete