Saturday, June 30, 2012

EDUC-6165- Communication here we go!!!

Our assignment this first week of our Communication course, we were asked to pick a person that shows competent communication skills.  As I begin to discuss the person I have chosen, I would like to point out that I show this person soley on communication skills.  I think that politics is a difficult and sensitive subject to use in communication.  I do not want to point out any politic views in this blog or discuss whether I am Republican or Democrat.  Frankly, there are many topics from each side of the parties that I agree with. 


This week, I thought I would highlight the President of the United States, President Obama.  Regardless of any views, decisions, etc., President Obama is a fantastic communicator.  Whether or not you believe in him or his views, he MAKES you want to believe.  He is a natural speaker, persuasive, and holds a likeable quality about him.  I listen to him and hear a similarity to a pastor speaking.  You want to believe want he says.  I hear a "preaching" quality that I do not think is a negative one.  Like I said, regarless of political views, you have to give it to him, the man can communicate!!!

http://msnbc.newsvine.com/_news/2008/11/11/2101216-barack-obama-communicator-in-chief?lite said, "Whether or not you voted for Barack Obama, he continues to offer valuable communication lessons to any professional who must persuade, motivate and inspire others."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/26/days-obama-image-communications-skills-strong-public-questions-policies/#ixzz1zKhQ5H1v said, "Obama's communications skills are an asset historians say has not ebbed since the 2008 campaign and have allowed him to push economic policies that many voters and lawmakers consider drastic."

2 comments:

  1. Julie,
    I would agree that the president is a good speaker. I have enjoyed listening to him as well as his wife over the last four years. She was just in Memphis the other day, of course tickets were too much for me but I bet it was good. He does have a tone in his voice that makes you want to listen. I am not saying one way or another as far as as a president, but as a speaker he's been good. He has caught a lot of grief over his speaking abilities, but I think he has done a good job communicating. I also think his grammer is at least as good as mine. I mean who speaks perfectly anyway. I also have heard from some troops that he is a good listener as well. From what we know about communication to be a good speaker you must be a good listener. I think you made a good choice. Thanks for posting and going out on the political limb in such a controversial time.
    Now is a time with the presidential elections coming up that we will be hearing lots of debates and lots of controversial conversations.
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie,
    I think that President Obama was a good choice for an effective communicator. People may write his speeches for him, but he articulates his message very well which causes people to take notice and listen. I would like to think that people listen to him because he is the leader of our nation and they care about the message that he is relaying whether they agree with him or not.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete