Saturday, June 23, 2012

FINAL BLOG for EDUC-6164-and a words of thanks!!!

My hope in working with children and families is all the same whether or not their are from the same background as myself or diverse backgrounds.  I am inspired to help others (children and families) to find a "love for learning".  I think that being in the early childhood field, we are lucky to "get a hold" of children and families at a young age!  This is the time that we set the stage for their educational journey ahead.  At this point, children are excited about learning; they are like sponges.  Families may be many things: nervous, scared, hopeful, excited, traumatized from their past, etc. 
We can make a difference in each child's and families' life.  We can help them prepare to enter into elementary school and prepare the parents to support their children on their journey.  I want all parents to know that they are their children's first and most important teacher! 

A goal of mine, which has developed through this course, is to help my colleagues in the early childhood field help discover a little bit about "who they are" just as we have done throughout this course.  I think that the process we have gone through during the last 8 weeks has made a huge impact on our understanding of the field as it related to diversity, equity, and social justice!  We as we have talked about a lot, how can we know about and accept others before we know about and accept ourselves?
I want to thank each of my colleagues of EDUC-6164-Perspectives of Diversity and equity!  Everyone has given me such wonderful discussions and online interactions.  I have learned so much during these last 8 weeks!  I wish you all the best of luck as you continue your journey to finish your degrees! 

No comments:

Post a Comment