Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression

          When I began thinking of this assignment, I immediately wanted to share my experiences I wrote about for Week 5’s Application Assignment #1.  Because we do not post those papers for others to read, I thought the blog site might be a great outlet for me to share my experiences.  I have shared my view that I have been fortunate enough not to experience major first-hand discriminations related to my sex, religion, gender, sexual orientation.  I am a white Christian woman who grew up in lower middle class family.  So when it comes to sharing experiences we have gone through, I think about my role as a military wife. 
•What memory do you have of an incident when you experienced bias, prejudice, and/or oppression, or witnessed someone else as the target of bias, prejudice, and/or oppression? Keep in mind that one can encounter such incidents in real contexts, including online environments, as well as in fictional ones, such as movies, books, television shows, and the like.
•In what way(s) did the specific bias, prejudice and/or oppression in that incident diminish equity?
•What feelings did this incident bring up for you?
•What and/or who would have to change in order to turn this incident into an opportunity for greater equity?

I gladly accepted the role of a military spouse when I married my husband, however, at the age of 19, I did not know the expectations that were placed upon me when I said “I do” and the sexism that would follow.  The most salient experience in my life that is directly related to my sex would be the military’s view of my role as a wife, mother, and military spouse.  Please do not take me wrong as you read this section!  I love my husband and gladly fulfill my role and perform my duties to the best of my abilities with honor and pride, but there is a sense of resentment that I have felt towards my husband and the military when I think about the opportunities I have turned down or missed as a result. 

My husband has to put the military first, and therefore, the military prefers the women to stay home and take care of the home front.  There is a joke in the military that the woman’s role is “in the kitchen, barefoot, and pregnant”.  I am a career woman and that poses struggles when my job gets too hectic. Regardless of our schedules, it is “assumed” that I will make the adjustments and be home for the bus, be at the school events, and go on the field trips, so that my husband can make the meetings and do his job effectively.  My husband is a wonderful man and we share 50% of the household responsibilities; however, when he was seen by his peers cleaning around the house, he was called “CinderFella”.  “Stand by your man” and “Being lady-like” are examples from the text that apply to my role as an Officer’s wife in the military. My primary role as a woman is to concern myself with the domestic affairs.

I think that there are efforts being made to raise awareness to the difficulties, struggles and inequities faced for military spouses.  I know that Michelle Obama and Jill Biden are very involved with woman in the military as spouses.  I think that by having people in power bring awareness and knowledge to others and by educating others, we can move forward.  Also, I believe that making the stability for the troops can help spouses and all with everyday life.  With my husband having been gone for 6 ½ out of the last 8+ years, it makes it difficult for me to begin a career and do what I want to make the difference I feel I can. 

Who knows what the future will bring.  My husband is very supportive of my career and we think to ourselves, “Let’s make it through the last 6+ years of his career and then it will be my turn!”

1 comment:

  1. It is very oppressive to think of women in that manner. However, we(women)have the power to change that thinking and not fit into their description. The reality is that women are expected to perform the domestic duties. I too realize that but I know that I have goals and want to achieve those as well. So I do what it takes to take care of home as well as pursue my goals and it will work for you as well.

    ReplyDelete