Saturday, May 26, 2012

Examples of Microaggressions...



  • Describe at least one example of a microaggression which you detected this week or remember from another time. In what context did the microaggression happen? What did you think and feel when you observed the microaggression or when you found yourself as the target of a microaggression?

  • I shared during our discussion forum this week a situation that I was shocked to experience at work this week, which also happened to be during our Federal Review!  But regardless of when it was, it was an unacceptable assumption and situation by the teacher.  A new teacher started recently in a classroom and when asked about dual language and non-English speaking children in her class by the reviewer, she shared that she had a Korean-only speaking child.  During my interview with the reviewer, I explained that no, we do not have a Korean speaking family in our program, but informed her that I would verify this.  After looking into this situation, I found out that the teacher had "assumed" and been told by the assistant teacher that it was a Korean family. I corrected them and explained it was a Chinese family and the two are very different.  This situation made me feel bad for the child and family because I felt that our program must not be fully meeting their needs.  How can we if we do not even understand their culture?  I felt angry that it happened and also determined to help correct the situation.  I can understand that we may not know and understand the similarities and differences among all cultures and I give credit there. However, where I draw the line to to "assume" a child is a certain ethnicity based on looks! Was this child "assumed" to be Korean because she didn't speak English and she "looked" Asian?!? It is our jobs and responsibility, as a teacher, to learn about our families, especially when they have different backgrounds as ours.  Even when a child comes into our program "visually" the same, each family will be different in many ways. 


  • In what ways did your observation experiences this week affect your perception of the effects of discrimination, prejudice, and/or stereotypes on people?

  • I am very hopeful that this experience will help me better educate our staff in the importance of opening our eyes to the families that enter our program.  Regardless of this class, I know that I would have felt this situation was wrong.  However, because of this course, I feel more confident in how to handle and address this situation to make sure that it does not happen again.  I have the knowledge and support of the resources we have been provided this week, to help me educate the staff in realizing what microaggressions are and the impact that they have on our children and families.  This week will open up more than just my set of eyes I hope!

    1 comment:

    1. Julie,
      You did the right by following through and finding out about the family. It is easy and "lazy" to make assumptions and not check things out. This week has not been easy but is sure has been informative, I have learned a lot of things that I wish I had realized before. It makes me feel really dumb that I did not realize them before especially as long as I have lived. Barbara

      ReplyDelete