Saturday, January 19, 2013

Exploring Roles in the ECE Community


This week I am providing information on 3 organizations or communities of practice that appeal to me, job opportunities that interest me, and the skills and experiences that I would need to competently fulfill each of the roles. The following websites are communities of practice in which provide great resources to others in support of providing quality education to young children and their families.  They are fantastic resources and contain amazing information for young children birth through age 8.
The Military Child website appeals to me because they strive to provide quality educational experiences, like NAEYC, but specifically for military children. They have a current position that is interesting and would be meaningful to me.  The position (even though it is not in my area) is the Military Student Transition Consultant.  Young children moving from school to school is difficult for any child and military children are also dealing with other challenges along the way.  I exceed the Bachelor’s degree (educational background) that is required, however my ties to local school districts are not as strong as they would desire because most of my experiences have been within early childhood settings and not the military preschools or local elementary schools. Website is: http://www.militarychild.org/
NAEYC, in my opinion, is one of the leading organizations in providing resources that will enhance the quality of education that our children can be provided.  This is an organization that initiates positive social change within the early childhood field.  “Communities of practice can inspire us, make us creative, and produce long-term change” (Helm, 2007). They have different types of jobs available, but I am not interested in any current openings.  I would be, however, interested in a type of position that was surrounding technical assistance and/or training and support to local programs trying to achieve accreditation and or interested in pursuing accreditation.  I feel that I would be educationally qualified for this type of position; however I would need to gain some additional experience with accreditation itself.  I have worked for a couple accredited preschools, but I realize the difficulties of the process and would need to learn more about it. Website is: http://www.naeyc.org/
            The “Teachstone” website gives detailed information about the coaching trend relying on the use of technology to succeed with the MTP program (My Teaching Partner). The MTP program is an intensive coaching program to help increase effective teacher-student interactions in turn improving the children’s outcomes. I am striving to become a mentor/coach for ECE teachers to help them better and improve their teaching practices and would love the opportunity to be a mentor/coach within the My Teaching Partner program.  I am currently using the CLASS tool (which is created by Teachstone) as a mentor/coach within our Head Start organization.  I feel that I am qualified for this position and hope to become a mentor/coach in the future.  You are required to have a master’s degree (which I will have within the next 6 weeks). Website is: http://www.teachstone.org/.

References:
Helm, J. (2007). Building communities of practice. YC: Young Children, 62(4), 12-16. Retrieved from the Walden Library using the Education Research Complete database at http://ezp.waldenulibrary.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=ehh&AN=25792186&site=ehost-live&scope=site.

2 comments:

  1. Julie -- I believe you've located some excellent organizations. As you further "unwrap the onion" within these organizations you've listed, perhaps you will be able to identify some key people and positions who you can include in your Community of Practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your blog. I like how you got the photos of people from your childhood that loves you and influence you in your life. All of the babies picture about education and the different website to explore about early childhood. I need help with setting all that stuff up on my blog. Good job

    ReplyDelete