Saturday, September 17, 2011

The website I chose to research further was the National Head Start Association website: www.nhsa.org. I chose this site specifically because it relates to my current professional situation and the site can provide me with the opportunities to grow within this course and in my career by increasing my awareness of the issues and trends of the children and families within my program.

The following link provides some astonishing news about the need for Head Start and the gut wrenching number of children who are eligible for the Head Start or Early Head Start program but are unable to get into the program for lack of space (# of enrollment).  This is a big issue in our geographical area. We have a large waiting list of children who cannot afford to be sent to provate preschools but cannot make it into our program.   
  http://www.nhsa.org/files/static_page_files/EB1195A6-1D09-3519-AD848D603894B7F1/HSandEHSUnmetNeedCharts%20%281%29.doc


The following description about NHSA's vision has come directly out of the website: http://www.nhsa.org/. I have not recieved any newsletters at this point from the National website, but I have become an active member, as a student.  I have signed up to recieve monthly e-newsletters.  I look forward to reading about current issues and trends within the National Head Start Association. 

About NHSA


Our vision is

To lead.

To be the untiring voice that will not be quiet until every vulnerable child is served with the Head Start model of support for the whole child, the family and the community.

To advocate.

To work diligently for policy and institutional changes that ensure all vulnerable children and families have what they need to succeed.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your information about Head Start. It is an issue in my town also. State funding has cut down to one classroom when in the past they have had four. Politically it is sad to see the thinking of men and women who are not intune with the real needs of low income families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The numbers are truly sad. So many need the assistance of programs like head start, but are unable to attend due to lack of space, funding and qualified teachers. It is a sad time for EC. I too love this website, lots of interesting and useful information- even if it is sometimes shocking, or sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Julie. I think I will also join the site for newsletters. I am confident from their track record that they are staying abreast and informing families and EC professionals of important issues and trends.

    ReplyDelete